How Renewable Energy Works
Solar power cells convert sunlight into clean electricity, using the energy of photons to create an electrical current within a solar panel or group of panels. Photons are created in the center of the sun by the fusion of atoms. The energy from the sun is never ending, and has powered the earth for millennium - redistributing and refreshing water systems and feeding plants.
For decades, researchers have been learning to harness this energy source with more efficiency and have been successful. This innovation has lead to replacing some of the work done by non-renewable – Solar power is efficient and like wind will not creating unnecessary pollution, noise, and no economic whims that drive costs higher year after year.
Benefits of Solar Generation
- Solar energy is renewable. We never have to worry about running out of sunlight or using it all up. The sun is a consistent power source meaning it's always going to be there every day
- Solar energy is environmentally friendly. Compared to fossil fuels which release greenhouses gases, carcinogens and carbon dioxide, solar cells don't release anything into the air
- Solar panels are extremely reliable. There are no moving parts so you don't have to worry about replacing anything
- Solar cells make no noise while collecting energy
- There is a huge variety of solar panel systems available. Some can cost tens of thousands of dollars, and some cost just a couple hundred. This means anyone can get into solar. There's an entry point for just about everybody
- You're not required to connect to the power grid
- Using this type of energy to generate electricity is not dependent upon the price of uranium, oil, or other types of fuel
- Sell excess electricity. If you build a large enough solar panel system, you can make your electric meter spin backwards! Most power companies will gladly credit you for this excess electricity. This is called net-metering
- Government tax credits. Most governments will provide some kind of tax credit or incentive for people purchasing solar energy systems
- Solar technology is constantly improving. Solar installations are increasing by an incredible 50% every year, most of which are small home based systems